Ben is a Partner and Head of the Corporate Restructuring and Insolvency team. He specialises in all aspects of restructuring and insolvency work.
He has broad experience advising corporates, insolvency practitioners, institutional lenders, and other creditors as well as individuals and directors.
Ben is recognised as a Leading Lawyer, Highly Regarded by the 2020 edition of IFLR 1000 for Restructuring and Insolvency. He is also recommended in the Legal 500 for Corporate Restructuring and Insolvency with clients praising Ben’s “ability to understand the economic, commercial and business points of a deal”.
Ben is an active member of the City of London Law Society Insolvency Law sub-committee.
Representative Engagements include:
- Federal-Mogul Corporation and subsidiaries in relation to Chapter 11 proceedings in the USA and administration proceedings in England in one of the largest and most complex cross-border insolvencies ever undertaken. Acted for the company and its many subsidiaries over several years on the restructuring in both the USA and UK, developing and implementing reorganisation plans in both jurisdictions.
- Sea Containers Ltd in relation to Chapter 11 proceedings I the USA and provisional liquidation in Bermuda.
- The administrators of the Laurel Pub Group.
- Numerous counterparty creditors in relation to claims against Lehman Brothers International (Europe)(in administration).
- Perpetual Trustee Company Limited in relation to its dispute with Lehman Brothers Special Finance Inc arising from the operation of certain waterfall clauses in notes for which Perpetual was a trustee.
- The Facility Agent and certain senior lenders in the restructuring of Ideal Standard International Acquisition Sarl.
- The Cayman Court appointed joint provisional liquidators of Arcapita Investment Holdings Limited (a wholly-owned subsidiary of Arcapita
- Bank B.S.C) in relation to Chapter 11 proceedings in the USA and provisional liquidation in Cayman.
- LDK Solar in relation to Hong Kong and Cayman Schemes of Arrangement and Chapter 15 recognition in the USA.
- Advising a large multinational group in relation to a whole scale restructuring of its entire group worldwide. The reorganisation included debt restructuring, operational restructuring, and liability management.
- CBRE Loan Services as Special Servicer in relation to the Debussy securitisation of the Toys R Us properties.
- Various funds in relation to claims against institutional note issuers.
- Directors of financially troubled companies in relation to directors’ duties and personal liability.